Wow! It’s certainly been a while since I posted. I have a pretty good excuse. In June I decided to go back to school and finish my bachelor’s degree, this time majoring in English instead of something that held zero of my interest (though, probably would have given me more money-ah well, you win some, you lose some!). Because it’s an entire semester’s worth of a class in a single month, my free time has been cut down considerably. Lunch time used to be spent casually knitting with the girls, now I tuck myself away in a dark part of the office and (this month) read Plato and Socrates for my Literary Theory class.
That said, I’m pretty excited when the weekend rolls around and I have an entire day to take care of my homework but also babysit my hobbies, such as this blog!
So, let’s talk about this:
A few months ago, my friend Kim and I were wondering what to get our friend and resident Doctor Who Addict, Val, for her birthday. Nearly every day I check GeekCrafts to see what’s new and this popped up. Now, I had no faith in our sculpting skills and was basically dragging my feet, but in a burst of WE CAN DO IT!, Kim convinced me that we, too, were able to roll clay into balls and adhere them to a flower pot. Though there weren’t step-by-step instructions, we used the photos Jackie put up to show hers off as a model for our own!
If I knew anything about power tools I’d be able to tell you, exactly what Kim’s father gave to us to use to make these holes. You can see that there’s a circular drill bit there, but don’t be fooled. That didn’t work at all. Instead, he used a little electric saw and cut slices from the center hole to the rim, and then hit the pieces out with the back of a pair of pliers. Then there was much sanding using paper and a Dremmel.
Those are Kim’s hands. She’s gluing the base to the pot and basically inverting it so we get the appropriate shape.
I don’t have any pictures of the painting process, which was another several hours, I’m sure. After it baked, Kim went after it with caulking to take care of any cracks and to make it water tight, and then painted and planted. I’m actually pretty impressed by the whole thing and, suddenly, making things out of clay doesn’t seem so frightening to me anymore. I’ve been envisioning an army of green planter-pipes in which to grow piranha plants that spit fire balls.
Still working on the logistics of that last part, though. I’ll let you know.